/ Cabinets

Get to Know Various Molding Types

Close Up of Corinthian Molding

Molding, whether crown or cornice, can add great detail to your kitchen. Here is an overview of some popular molding options:



Appliqué: A detailed carved or etched decorative piece installed on the face of cabinets.


bun feet

Bun feet: Round decorative pieces on the bottom corners of base cabinets used to raise the cabinetry and create a furniture look.



Corbels: An ornamental bracket that may or may not also be structural. These large, carved pieces often support (or appear to support) island countertops, shelving or hood mantels.




Cornice: The uppermost section of molding along the top of cabinetry; usually refers to molding that meets the ceiling.



crown molding

Crown molding: A long ornamental strip with a modeled profile, crown molding accents the tops of your cabinets, adding height and elegance.


dentil molding

Dentil molding: Molding with tooth-like, closely spaced rectangular blocks.


egg and dart molding

Egg and dart molding: Molding decorated with alternating oval (egg) and arrow (dart) shapes.


flat trim

Flat trim: Molding without a carved or rounded profile; commonly used in Arts and Crafts kitchens.



Fluting: Ornamental vertical, semi-circular grooves routed into a pilaster.


galley rail

Galley rail: A front "retaining wall" made from small spindles.




Insert: A decorative strip inset between other moldings.



cabinet leg

Legs: Both structural and decorative, these pieces support base cabinets and provide a furniture look.  They may also be used to support a countertop overhanging an island.


cabinet onlay

Onlay: Literally "laying on" the cabinet, an onlay is a carved decorative element installed on the cabinet's face.



Pediment: A low-pitched triangular gable that sits atop cabinetry. It may have scrolls, scallops, arches or other detailing along the edges.



Pilaster: A vertical column that is decorative, not structural. It projects slightly from the cabinet's surface and is typically rectangular.


plate rail

Plate rail: A decorative shelf with a groove for plates.





Plinth: A square block at the base of a pilaster or turned post.



rope molding

Rope molding: Molding carved or milled to look twisted like rope.



Rosette: A carved circular ornament with a floral look; can also be a square with a circle design in the center.


Spindle: A slender turned piece of wood, typically decorative. Large spindles generally are called turned posts or legs.



split molding split spindle

Split molding or split spindle: In essence, half a molding or spindle. The flat back and half-round shape makes it easy to apply to a cabinet surface.



Toe kick: The recessed area at the bottom of a base cabinet; also refers to the molding used to cover the area.



Turned posts: Large vertical pieces with a circular outline; may also be referred to as legs, columns or spindles. These may be structural or decorative.



Valance: A decorative panel installed across an open area, often above a sink, over a window, at the bottom of a base cabinet or at the top of open shelving.


Wainscot: A facing or paneling, often wooden, applied to the lower part of an interior wall or large end panel of a cabinet.



More in this category:« Cabinet Moldings