Ask Yourself Before You Buy
Before purchasing a new dishwasher, read through these questions to make sure you've thought of everything you need and want.
- Do I want my dishwasher to look streamlined, with a single-panel front and hidden controls?
- Do I want a dishwasher with a trim kit that allows me to attach panels that match my cabinetry to the front door?
- What are the dimensions of my current dishwasher? Does the new one have to fit in the same place, or do I have the option of moving it?
- If adding or moving a dishwasher, will the new placement allow the door to open fully? What about the doors of adjacent cabinets or appliances? Where will the plumbing connection go?
- Is my available space so small that I should consider a compact, under-sink, drawer, portable or countertop dishwasher?
- Is it important to have a quiet dishwasher to avoid disturbing neighbors or sleeping family members?
- Do I need a sanitizing wash cycle for baby bottles, heavily soiled dishes or family members with allergies? Do I need a hard food disposer and tough scrub cycle to avoid pre-cleaning dishes?
- Are environmental considerations such as energy and water savings important to me? Will money saved on utility bills make up for added costs?
- Do I want my dishwasher raised so that I don’t have to bend down to load and unload it? Should I consider a drawer dishwasher for the same reason?
- Do I need a tall tub or extra-wide dishwasher or even multiple dishwashers to handle regular large loads of dishes? Or should I consider a single drawer or compact dishwasher to do smaller, more frequent loads?