Cooling Appliances Questionnaire
Before purchasing your refrigerator, freezer or wine chiller, ask yourself the following questions. You can print out the PDF and refer to it as you do your research and go shopping.
1. What are the dimensions of my current refrigerator or freezer? Do the new ones have to fit in the same space, or do I have the option of moving them?
2. How many people will use the refrigerator regularly, and how much interior capacity will we need?
3. If moving a refrigerator, will the new placement allow the door to open fully? What about the doors of adjacent cabinets or appliances?
4. For the best door clearance possible, should the refrigerator door open on the right or on the left? Or would a side-by-side or French-door model be better? What about a bottom-mount freezer drawer versus a top-mount freezer with a door?
5. Is my available space so small that I should consider a compact, drawer, portable or undercounter refrigerator?
6. Are environmental considerations such as energy and water savings important to me? Will money saved on utility bills make up for added costs?
7. Do I need a separate freezer unit so that I can cook and freeze meals ahead of time or buy frozen foods in large quantities?
8. Do I entertain and cook enough that having an additional undercounter refrigerator or a refrigerator drawer unit will be useful? Or will I need one of these models to make food and beverages accessible for children and elderly or disabled family members and guests?
9. What look do I want to create with my refrigerator? For example, professional kitchens use stainless steel appliances; traditional kitchens might use cabinet panels to conceal appliances; and retro designs are enhanced by retro-look appliances.
10. Would a wine chiller or beverage center be useful, possibly in the family room or on an outdoor deck?
11. Do I want a refrigerator with an icemaker and water dispenser? Inside the door or through the door? Do I want a water filter?
12. How do I use my current refrigerator? Do I need separate compartments for produce, meat and dairy? Movable shelving? Wine or soda holders? Precise electronic temperature controls?