Fry Bread Ingredients
2 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder pinch of pepper
1 cup of warm milk
3 cups of oil
1 pound of ground beef
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 yellow onion, rough chopped
1 red pepper, rough chopped
½ cup cilantro
1 avocado, sliced (optional)
1/2 grated cheddar cheese (optional)
1/4 cup sour cream (optional)
1/2 cup salsa (optional)
To make the fry bread
1. Combine the flour, salt, cumin, chili powder, pepper, and baking powder, and whisk together.
2. Pour the dry mixture into a bowl, then add the milk, and mix by hand until the dough forms a ball. Add a little extra flour gradually so it is easier to handle.
3. Sprinkle flour on a surface and place the dough on it. Knead the dough until it is a smooth consistency, and be careful not to overknead. Let the dough rest for about 5 minutes.
4. Shape the dough into balls that use about ¾ cup of dough, then flatten the dough by stretching it gently outwards from the center, going around the in a circle in a flattening motion. Try to get them as thin as possible without tearing, about 1/8 inch thickness.
5. Pour canola oil in a medium frying pan so that it is 1.5 inches deep, and heat it until it is 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the dough circles into the oil one at a time. Once the dough turns golden brown (about 1 to 1.5 minutes), flip once, and cook for about another minute to a minute and a half. Remove each “taco shell” and drain on paper towels.
To make the tacos
1. Brown ground beef in a pan, and then drain and return to pan. Add 2/3 cup of water to meat after browned and drained. Add taco seasoning, red pepper, and onion. Let simmer for ten minutes.
2. Place the cilantro in a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped. Toss cilantro with taco ingredients in pan.
3. Lay out the fry bread taco shells on plates and assemble the tacos by adding the meat and veggies from the pan. Add on avocado, cheese, sour cream, salsa, or whatever else you like to put on tacos! Bring extra napkins to the table, and enjoy!