Kitchen Under $50,000 2
Two-Cook Kitchen with Yellow Cabinets
Designed by Jennifer Turtle, The Kitchen Guild, Fairfax, VA
Initial Budget: $40,000
Final Cost: $47,000. Ultimately the clients chose to remove a wall and open the kitchen to the rest of the house, adding $7,000 to the price of their kitchen remodel.
- Lighten up the dark, U-shaped kitchen.
- Create more functional storage space, especially in the corners.
- Create more countertop space.
- Allow two cooks to work in the kitchen at the same time.
- Have yellow cabinets.
- Removed one wall to open the kitchen up to the rest of the house, allowing for a more spacious floor plan.
- Added a post for structural support, which helped define the kitchen area.
- Raised the kitchen ceiling to open the space to the adjoining family room and its sloped ceiling.
- Added taller wall cabinets for more storage space.
- Added corner cabinets with an open shelf for easier access.
Cabinets: Dutch Mills custom framed maple cabinets with Shaker-style doors and a painted, glazed finish. Accessories: Pull-out can racks, pull-out pantry cabinets, roll-out shelves, cove molding and oil-rubbed bronze pulls and knobs.
Appliances: Dacor cooktop, oven and warming drawer; Fisher & Paykel dishwasher drawer; Jenn-Air cabinet-depth refrigerator; Sharp convection microwave oven and Miele ventilation hood.
Countertops: Giallo Veneziano granite with an eased edge and matching backsplash
Flooring: Teak floors
Sink: Blanco stainless steel undermount double-bowl sink
Lighting: six recessed lights and track lighting over sink