A Large Entertaining Kitchen
Designed by Paul F. Hansalik, Town & Country Kitchens of New Jersey.
Initial Budget: $120,000-$130,000
Final Cost: $125,000. At this price level, you're looking at a large kitchen remodel that fulfills a majority of the client’s wishes with minimum compromise. That requires custom products and design concepts. When a client spends such a significant amount of money, designers often absorb minor fluctuations in cost.
- Make an already large kitchen interior feel more open while maintaining a sense of intimacy.
- Allow two cooks to assist in meal preparation.
- Install appliances with the capacity for catered affairs.
- Include an island with seating for four that also would serve as a food prep center.
- Remove the half wall shared by the adjoining leisure room.
- Angle in two walls toward the island to retain openness while creating enough wall space to install the refrigerator and freezer units in close proximity, with counter space between.
- Design an island with two sinks, two dishwashers and ample counter surface.
- Include seating for four on the outer perimeter of the island.
- To balance the island’s size, the designer:
- Created negative space with columns and bookcases.
- Shaped the island to conform to the room’s altered interior, improving traffic flow.
- Broke up the surface with two height levels, which also created a buffet area, a partition between the seating area and workspace, and a 6-inch backsplash area for placement of outlets.
- Used a darker wood and stain on the island to make it seem smaller and a lighter wood and finish on the perimeter cabinetry to make the space feel open.
Cabinets: Custom framed and frameless cabinets; cherry wood with a dark stain on the island and maple with a white wash on the perimeter. A custom wooden hood and swivel TV pull-out. Accessories: polished brass hardware, undercabinet lighting, pull-out spice racks, cutlery inserts, tray dividers and roll-out shelves.
Appliances: Thermador double oven, microwave and cooktop; two Miele dishwashers; Vent-A-Hood 1200 CFM hood liner; Sub-Zero 601F freezer, 601R refrigerator
Countertops: Uba tuba dark green granite
Backsplash: Hand-cut Portuguese tiles
Sinks: Elkay, Franke